Tuesday, May 18, 2010

What to do? Please Help

I'm very stressed out right now. I just found out late yesterday that my dad had a mini-stroke last Thursday. He sounded just like his "usual" self on the phone. This time he had no lasting damage.
He said the episode happened at breakfast last Thursday all of a sudden he couldn't get his left arm to do what he wanted and some other symptoms. He lives out in the boonies in Alabama so his wife drove him to the nearest emergency room and he was checked out pretty throughly but they don't know where the clot is/what caused the minor stroke. The doctors say this is a warning that a major stroke could happen.

I am a big daddys girl always have been.I am very torn right now about staying here at home and talking to him pretty much daily or getting in my truck and driving up there asap 12 hours away plus $$ that are hard to come by money is tight or finding the funds and flying.

Do I go or sit tight? What would you do? Please let me know TODAY if at all possible.

Thanks,
Susan

4 comments:

  1. Susan, if you are really stressed and worried about him I think I'd go see him. I'd probably drive because finding a flight last minute would be super expensive.

    I'm so sorry that this is happening. I'll be thinking and praying for you and him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry this has happened, Susan. I'd get in the truck and drive there...you will never be sorry you went, but god forbid if something major DID happen, you will have to live with the regret.

    Good luck - I'll keep you and your dad in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Diane and Shelley. My mom has had those too and they were discovered by a neurologist after the fact. They can really vary in intensity too.

    I would say you should go. I think you will feel better if you do. You will both be in my thoughts and prayers.

    P.S. I was a daddy's girl too. No one loved/will love me like that ever again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both my dad and my MIL had ministrokes years ago. My MIL went on aspirin, my dad on Plavix (bloodthinners). This was years ago and they are fine.

    That said, if you possibly can manage to see him and your heart is prompting you to, it would be a comfort to you and to him. Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete